Monday, October 20, 2008

Perfect Pizza Dough



One of my latest obsessions has been the pursuit of perfect pizza dough. I found this recipe in the Washington Post, and have tried it several times, and I think I've finally nailed it.

The kids love getting involved in the process (althought, truthfully I think the secret to the success of the pizza we made the other night was that I did everything and let their contribution act as "icing" on the process). Oh, and I went out and bought a $10 pizza peel -- the device used to move the pizza onto the pizza stone. I think I need to buy another so I can make two pizzas at once -- but I definately think it's worth the money.

Here's the recipe -- and this is definately going on the weekly hit list.

Heat the oven to 500 degrees

Heat 1 c. water in the microwave for 45 seconds
Add one package of yeast and 1t. honey
Let sit for 5 minutes

Combine 2c. flour, a pinch of salt in a food processor. Wtih the motor running slowly pour the water/yeast, until a wet ball forms. (HINT: Here's the place where, in the past, things have gone wrong. This time, I kept sprinkling in flour and running the processor until an actual blob of dough was in there)

Transfer dough to a work surface and kneed for 10 minutes (plus whatever the kids want to do)

Divide dough into two halves, forming two equal balls.
Put in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise for one hour

After the rise, punch down the dough and form into 2 10" pizzas.

Bake for 12-14 minutes until cheese melts and crust is crisp.

No comments: