Friday, June 19, 2020

Best.Burgers.Ever









I made these burgers following Cooks Illustrated's July/August 2020 recipe. My kitchen still smells like the burgers, and I don't think I'll ever get all the grease off the stove... but it was completely worth it. I will never make big fat burgers again.

Smashed Burgers

Sauce
2 T. mayonnaise
1 T. minced shallots
1 1/2 t. finely chopped dill pickles
1/2 t dill pickle brine
1 1/2 t. ketchup
pinch sugar
pinch black pepper

Burgers
Hamburger buns
Each burger is 4 oz ground beef (80/20 preferred)
1/4 t. vegetable oil
pinch salt
American cheese
Lettuce
tomatoes

A 28oz can with foil on the bottom
A plate near the stove
A metal spatula

Divide the beef into 2 oz. balls (not too tightly packed).
Place oil in a pan (they say not stainless steel, I used my Caphalon skillet)
Use a paper towel to rub oil into the bottom of the skillet
Heat until it smokes (about 5 minutes)
Place the balls on the pan (I could fit four in my pan)
Use the 28 oz can to press the balls flat
Put the can back on the plate (you'll need it for the next round of burgers)
Sprinkle with salt and pepper
Cook the burgers until they are about 3/4 browned on the top
Flip with the spatula and let cook about 30 seconds more
Toast the hamburger buns
Spread sauce on the bottom
Top with on patty, topped with american cheese, topped by 2nd patty
Add lettuce and tomato then top of bun

For second round, remove brown bits from the bottom of the pan
Use the paper towel again (off the heat) to wipe the pan
Repeat the process

Serve immediately




No comments: