Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Barbecue Ribs

A recent trip to Kansas City involved A LOT of meat. We were at Arthur Bryant's within hours of renting our car. We ate steak, potatoes, hot dogs, beer -- ugh. It's still hard to talk about. But we brought home lots of barbecue sauce. So when ribs were floated as an idea for the 4th of July, I jumped at the chance to make them.

I used Alton Brown's Backyard Rib recipe with a few changes. I made the rub (but didn't measure the ingredients, really). Since I think I'll try to make this in Hilton Head, I thought I'd jot down the basic drill:

2 days before serving:
Put the rub on the ribs and put in a heavy duty foil pack, refrigerate overnight.

1 day before serving:
Pour 1/4c. orange juice and 1/4 c. margarita mix in the bag, place ribs on a sheet pan and cook in 250 degree oven for 2 hours. After cooking, pour out the liquid, reseal the packet, return to the fridge.

Day of:
Heat grill to medium, cut rib racks in half and grill 3 minutes per side (flipping three times, so each side gets 3 minutes twice).

After grilling, cut into 2 bone segments and toss in bowl with favorite sauce.

Tender and delicious!

No comments: