Monday, August 15, 2011

Creole Jambalaya

With Border's going out of business, I decided it was time to scoot over there and find myself a new cookbook. I selected a big old loose leaf number from Southern Living, and decided I'd try to work a few new recipes into the weekly rotation. This is one of those recipes that has all the stuff we like to eat in one dish -- but don't be fooled, that doesn't always add up to a make again. This evening I was pleasantly surprised... it WAS universally well received. It took a while to make, although the food processor was a bit help with the prep work. I also had to abandon my stove top skillet and move to the electric skillet when it became evident that it wouldn't all fit. This recipe made enough for two dinners at my table. I think I'll add shrimp next time for a bit more diversity in protein...

2 T. butter
1 large onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
8 green onions chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
3 c. cubed cooked ham (1 pound)
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced (I used turkey sausage)
1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground black pepper
1/4 t. ground red pepper
5 c. hot cooked rice

Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients; saute until tender. Add ham and next 5 ingredients. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in rice; cover and cook over low heat 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

No comments: