Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Roasted Butternut Squash with Cinnamon


Butternut Squash is one of those things that I hated as a kid, but love now. So I can sort of understand the turned up noses and gagging sounds when I try to feed it to my audience. However, since I'm in charge, everynow and then, I'm going to serve it up and let them whine all they want.


I swore I would never be "that kind of mom" but I have to admit, we had our little friend Tommy over and I made this for dinner. We not only forced him to eat it, we also asked him to rate it. Amazingly, Tommy gave it a 2.5 out of 5. And even more amazingly, my oldest son told me he liked it the other day. You could have knocked me over...

Anyway, I couldn't take a picture because we ate it all. Next time...

This recipe is from Cooking Light, October 2004 issue -- it was just a simple side dish in an article about pork chops, but it jumped out at me.


Roasted butternut squash

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange 4 c. (1/2 in.) diced butternut squash in a single layer on pan, sprinkle with 1/2 t. salt, 1/4 t. groundcinnamon, and 1/4 t. ground nutmeg. Coat squash with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, turn with a spatula. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until squash is soft and begins to brown.

No comments: