Thursday, June 23, 2011

Quick White Bean Asparagus and Mushroom Cassoulet

This sounded absolutely delicious when I read it in Cooking Light (April, 2011). Not for the whole family, but for me -- spot on. I made it last night and I was right, it IS delicious -- and probably even more so, had a actually cooked the white beans. I'm still working on my dried bean skills.  I can't wait to make this again.

Quick White Bean, Asparagus and Mushroom Cassoulet
5 c. water
1 lb. aspargus
2 T. olive oil
10 oz. mushrooms, sliced (they called for chanterelle or oyster; I used baby portobello)
3 shallotts, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves minced
1/4 c. dry white wine
1 1/2 c. vegetable broth (I used chicken)
1/2 t. oregano (or majoram)
2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    Again, I used 8 oz. dried beans, soaked and then cooked for 1 1/4 hr)
1/4 t. ground black pepper
2 oz. French bread cut into 1" cubes
1 T. butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 c. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

1. Bring 5 c. water to boil in a large stainless-steel skillet, and add asparagus to the pan. Cover and cook 2 minutes; drain. Rinse asparagus with cold water; drain well. Set aside.
2. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add 1 T. oil, swirling to coast. Add mushrooms, shallots, and garlic; saute 8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add wine; cook 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Stir in broth, oregano, and beans; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 12 minutes or until thick and beans are very tender.
3. Preheat broiler
4. place French bread and butter in a food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add the remaining 1 T. oil and cheese to coarse breadcrumbs; pulse until combined. Stir asparagus into bean mixture; sprinkle coarse breadcrumb mixture evenly over bean mixture. Broil 3 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown.

No comments: