Monday, March 2, 2009

Home made Sloppy Joes


I think my mom used to make sloppy joes using ground beef and a can of manwich. But it makes me feel like a better mother when I create sloppy joes from scratch. This is from Rachel Ray's book, and it's always a hit with the family...

1 T olive oil
1 1/4 lb. ground beef
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 t. steak seasoning blend
1 medium onion
1 small red bell pepper (I've substituted carrots)
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 c. tomato sauce
2 T tomato paste

Heat oil in a large skillet, add beef and break it up. Combine brown sugar and steak seasoning, add the mix to the meat in the skillet. When the meat has browned, add onion and veggies. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Add vinegar, stirring to reduce, add Worcestershire tomato sauce and paste, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 5 more minutes.

No comments: