Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Lemon Spaghetti

I bought a bag of lemons the other day, I have no idea why. So, when thinking about how best to use them, I came across this recipe -- it combines everything my family seems to enjoy (pasta, lemon, cheese, and basil), so I thought I'd give it a whirl. And it was delicious. For some strange reason the 10-year-old is now in a, "I hate spaghetti" phase (could it be that his mother serves it too frequently)? So perhaps some other noodle next time....

Lemon Spaghetti (from Everyday Italian by Giada de Laurentis)

2/3 c. olive oil
2/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
3/4 t. salt, plus more to taste
1/2 t. black pepper
1 lb. dried spaghetti
1/3 c. chopped fresh basil
1 T. grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)

In a large bowl, whisk the oil, cheese, lemon juice, and 3/4 t. of salt and 1/2 t of pepper to blend. Set the lemon sauce aside.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring occasionally until tender but firm. Drain, reserving 1 c. of cooking liquid. Add the spaghetti to the lemon sauce and toss with basil and lemon zest. Toss with enough water (1/4 c. at a time) to moisten. Season with salt and pepper.


No comments: