Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I'm Going On Strike


Here's what I said to my family last night at dinner. "I give up. Why don't you try to make dinner for a week, and see how it goes?" I was calm. I wasn't emotional, but I was sort of fed up.

The culprit? My crockpot and TexMex Chicken Stew. I didn't even tell anyone that the "S" word was part of the title. When they asked what was for dinner, I just kept saying, "Tex Mex Chicken." But in the end, everyone knew it was stew, and no one was really happy about it.

This is the second time I've tried to make something that contained all the ingredients my family likes -- or at least, mostly ingredients my family likes. However, as soon as the crockpot appears on the counter, my husband starts asking the probing kinds of questions like... where did this recipe come from? why did you decide to make this?

Since we had a bad chipolte chili in adobo experience last week, I opted against using them in this recipe. I replaced them with those green chopped chiles in a can. I think it turned out a bit bland, and I might try the chipoltes next time (and mark my words, there will be a next time -- but not this week, remember, I'm on strike.

From Martha Stewart.... Tex Mex Chicken Stew

1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
1 jar (11 ounces) mild or medium salsa (1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), chopped
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream, for serving
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
Directions
1.In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together beans, salsa, chiles, flour, and 1 cup water. Season chicken with salt and pepper; arrange on top of bean mixture. Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken.
2.Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours. (Do not open lid or stir.)
3.Remove chicken from stew; shred into large pieces and return to stew. Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro.

No comments: