Monday, November 28, 2011

Turkey Stock and Vegetable Soup

Happy After Thanksgiving! My brother-in-law Mark made a delicious turkey soup after Thanksgiving one year, and I've been committed to making it happen in my kitchen ever since. Last year, it was a meaty soup with veggies and rice -- not sure where I found the recipe... but this year I changed it up a bit. I made the stock on Saturday (pretty much all day) and then the vegetable soup last night. I, for one, LOVED it! I think my soup eating son also gave it a thumbs up. Picky daughter said never again, kind loving son said, "Sorry Mom, but no." Husband (the pickiest of the bunch) moved the contents around the bowl and somehow got it down. He kept calling it stew (as if that is a derogatory word). I'll make it again, but make something else for Daughter, Son #2, and Husband.

Stock
Carcass of the turkey
Bay leaves
Celery
Onion
Carrot
Garlic (smashed)
Salt
Peppercorns (smashed)
Water to cover

Bring to a boil then simmer for 3 hours on the stove. Pour off the the stock, throw away the solids, return to simmer pot, and simmer (and skim) for two hours.

Vegetable Soup

To 1/4 c. oil, add one chopped onion, one chopped celery stalk, and one chopped carrot. Cook for about 5 minutes. After veggies are softened, add a few cubed potatoes, 6 cups of stock, a 15 oz. can of chopped tomatoes, a chopped Parmesan cheese rind, some salt and pepper and cook for about 15 minutes. After the potatoes are softened, add a cubed zucchini. Cook for another 15 minutes.

Absolutely delicious!

No comments: