Saturday, February 27, 2016

Book Club Goodies

I hosted book club the other night for the first time in a very long time. And these women have made some amazing appetizers when I've been at their homes, so I kind of felt like I needed to step up my game.We have a Wegman's now -- so I used two of their appetizer recipes (think heavy hors d'oeuvres). They were very complimentary (but they are really nice women) but I did like them, and would definitely make them again.

BLT Crostini (with Bourbon Bacon Jam)
The star of the show here is the Bourbon Bacon Jam, so I'll start there:

1 pkg of bacon (I like center cut, and as lean as I can get it) -- 1/2 inch dice
1 white onion thinly sliced
1 shallot thinly sliced
10 gloves of garlic thinly sliced
1/2 c. bourbon
1/2 c. fresh thyme leaves (I used dry)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 T. maple syrup

1. Cook the bacon, stirring, for about 12 minutes. Add onions, garlic, and shallots cook until tender and carmalized (8-10 minutes). Add bourbon, cook 2-3 minutes until liquid evaporates.

2. Add thyme, brown sugar, and syrup to pan; cook, stirring 2-3 minutes until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool about 15 minutes.

3. Put mixture in a food processor and puree to desired texture. Pour off extra fat.

Slice a baguette into thin slices and toast with the broiler. Layer bacon jam, fancy tomatoes (I used a package Wegman's calls their "Flavorful Medley" because it's winter and there are no good tomatoes in the store), and sprinkle with chopped basil.


Mushroom and Goat Cheese Quesadillas
I made these because I love mushrooms and goat cheese and no one else in my family will eat them.

1 8oz. package of sliced shitake mushrooms
1 8 oz. package of sliced button mushrooms
1/4 c. white onion diced
2 T. olive oil
Whole Wheat Tortillas
2 4oz pkg. Pepper Chevre (room temperature)
Shredded Mexican Cheese

Add the olive oil to the pan, add mushrooms and onions to the pan and cook until tender (10-12 minutes). Let cool.

Spread goat chesse on the tortilla, place mushrooms on half of the tortilla, and fold the tortilla over the mushroom filling. Place on a griddle (or fry pan) and heat for a few minutes on each side to fully heat. Cut into quarters to serve.




No comments: