Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Mashed Potato Miracle

I LOVE mashed potatoes. My husband, not so much. I used to make them on the nights I knew he wouldn't be home, or slip them onto the table after baking cookies so my stock was high and I had room to cheat a bit. Since I've been back at work full time, I've devoted myself to at least cooking a real meal on Sundays. After scanning through a few issues of Cooks Illustrated that were sitting around the house, I saw the recipe below for Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes (cue the angel chorus) -- a miracle has happened. Everyone (including the boss) loved the mashed potoatoes! I can eat them once again!

Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
from Nov/Dec 2014 Cooks Illustrated

2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2" thick
1/2 t. garlic powder
4 T. butter
1 1/4 t. garlic, minced to paste
1 1/2 oz. Parmesan cheese (3/4 c.)
Salt and pepper
2/3 c. warm whole milk

1. Place potatoes in large saucepan and add cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring water to simmer over medium-high heat. Adjust heat to maintain gentle simmer until paring knife can be slipped into tand out of center of potatoes with no resistance, 18 to 22 minutes. Drain potatoes

2. While potatoes cook, combine garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon of water in small bowl. Melt butter in 8-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in 1 t. garlic paste and garlic powder mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant and golden, about 1 minute. Transfer butter mixture to medium bowl and thoroughly stir in Parmesan, 1 1/4t. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, and remaining 1/4t. garlic paste

3. Place now-empty saucepan over low heat; set ricer over saucepan, mash potatoes.
Stir in butter-Parmesan mixture until incorporated. Stir in warm milk. Season with salt and papper to taste. Serve immediately.

No comments: