Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I heart panini


I have this personality flaw... I get sort of obsessed with a food item/appliance and I cannot sleep soundly until I explore/own the object of my obsession. I've done it with soup, beef bourgonion, and my electric skillet. A few months ago a new obsession bloomed, and fortunately for me, my birthday was coming up. Add to this pot the fact that my mother is an appliance/cookware lover like myself (she is the reason I have a food processor, kitchenaid mixer, and fancy all clad pans) -- and TA DA! I own a panini maker.

Honestly, I was a bit nervous about owning one, because I didn't have the slightest idea of how to create a great grilled sandwich, or even where to find the bread. Although, I had started that investigation weeks earlier, casually mentioning my need for ciabatta at book club and church and the like. As it turns out, I was not too worry, because, the other day not only did I return home from work to find a panini maker in my garage BUT ALSO a cookbook! Praise Heaven, I was in business.

On Friday night I piled the kids in the van and made them go from market to market searching for bread, brie, arugula and proscuitto -- and that night I created a sandwich that I, personally, found to be heaven on Earth. (My husband, who I believe I've mentioned can be a bit picky, and is the fourth picky kid in my opinion, said, "I don't like the cheese...") But that was okay, because that meant I could return to the store and buy another load of ingredients (this time tomatoes, fresh mozarella, basil and MORE fancy bread).

So, $60 worth of imported Italian ingredients and a weekend's worth of panini -- I am one happy camper, waiting for the next food obession to hit. My kids, I believe, would prefer a grilled cheese. My husband, seems like he'll go along with it as long as I don't use brie.

No comments: